Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Strength

I had a friend call me last night needing some guidance. She said to me that she wonders where I find my strength and wishes she could be as strong. Here is what I have to say " Strength, are you kidding me!" I dont have strength, there are a million things I could do different. Ways I can improve myself. I guess we all feel this way and strive to improve ourselves. Although I appreciate the comment, it is so far from true. So it has me thinking today on the small things I can do to improve myself, gain strength within me. I want to share this once again, it was written on the back of the program at Jason's funeral. I assumed when I chose it, it was just for me but maybe some of you read it and took it to heart. Here is a reminder of self knowledge. Of course it comes from my favorite Philosopher, Kahlil Gibran. Jason and I used to sit and read Kahlil and talk for hours on the meaning.

Self Knowledge
And a man said, Speak to us of Self Knowledge.
And he answered, saying:
Your hearts know in silence the secrets
of the days and the nights.
But your ears thirst for the sound of
your heart's knowledge.
You would know in words that which
you have always known in thought.
You would touch with your fingers the
naked body of your dreams.
And it is well you should.
The hidden well-spring of your soul must
needs rise and run murmuring to the sea;
And the treasure of your infinite depths
would be revealed to your eyes.
But let there be no scales to weigh your
unknown treasure;
And seek not the depths of your knowledge
with staff or sounding line.
For self is a sea boundless and measureless.
Say not, "I have found the truth," but
rather, "I have found a truth."
Say not, "I have found the path of the soul."
Say rather, "I have met the soul walking
upon my path."
For the soul walks upon all paths.
The soul walks not upon a line, neither
does it grow like a reed.
The soul unfolds itself, like a lotus of
countless petals.
Kahlil Gibran
We all strive for self knowledge and growth. I face my day remembering, there are people crossing my path striving for the same thing. We all make mistakes, some hurt yourself, some hurt others some we just learn from. There is love, understanding, compassion and forgiveness in my heart. Maybe that is where others may see my strength. So for today, I am going to get a Yoga video for Caleb and I, some heavy protien drinks and work on my self image. I have found myself working on a daily goal. Its typically simple...yesterday it was to bake a chicken. I did it and it turned out fabulous, didnt even burn it!

No comments: